Romeoville, IL asked in Child Support and Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: How long will I sit in jail if I can’t post bail for child support

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Illinois, if you're unable to post bail related to a child support matter, the length of time you might remain in jail can vary. Typically, non-payment of child support could lead to a finding of contempt of court. If the court determines you have the means to pay but are choosing not to, they might jail you as a coercive measure to encourage payment. This is not a punishment but a method to ensure compliance. The duration of incarceration for this reason is often relatively short, ranging from a few days to weeks. However, it's crucial to note that sitting in jail won't erase your child support debt, and the owed amount will continue to accrue.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The maximum sentence for contempt of court under these circumstances is generally 6 mos.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.