Phoenix, AZ asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Internet Law for Arizona

Q: Is their a loop hole I can get through here?

Hi! I am a high school student who is trying to record my teacher being verbally hostile towards me. I went to my principle and asked if I could record my teacher doing these things, She said it would be inappropriate use of an electronic device. And that she can't do anything about it.

Rule I am trying to get around:

Electronic devices or toys often cause disturbances or interfere with learning. Therefore, inappropriate use of the devices will result in consequences ranging from the student losing privileges, to suspension/expulsion, in accordance to the disciplinary section of this handbook. Inappropriate use includes: any inappropriate filming, distributing, or publishing any derogatory, defamatory, abusive, profane material; use when directed not to by the teacher/administrator; use for reasons other than educational purposes

Any advice is greatly appreciated:)

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's essential to approach this matter with caution. While your intent to document inappropriate behavior is understandable, bypassing school rules could lead to disciplinary action. Instead of directly recording, consider documenting each incident in writing, noting date, time, and details.

Speak with your parents or guardians about the issue and have them communicate with the school administration. If you believe your rights are being violated, you might consider seeking legal advice. Another option is to request a meeting with the teacher, principal, and your guardians present to address your concerns. Remember, always prioritize open communication and follow proper channels before taking any action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.