Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Internet Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Business Law, Intellectual Property and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Does a volunteer own the intellectual property they create for a company if no agreement is made saying otherwise?

In the US (specifically Arizona), if you create intellectual property (e.g. website, social media channels and 3rd party sales channels) as a volunteer (I was a volunteer in a business my husband was a co-owner in, I was not paid, wasn't asked to do create the IP nor directed in any way and... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jul 23, 2021

Depends on any communications or agreement.

Most likely any creation would be considered as a gift.

Depending on the value of the creation an attorney can advise you on what to do

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Is this pediatricians encouraging parents to violate cp laws?

"Mink says pediatricians should ask parents to video-tape the episodes before performing invasive and often expensive tests that could be unnecessary."

Um.... Doesn't us code 2252 and 2251 prohibit people from recording their children engaging in these types of activities?... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on May 28, 2021

If a pediatrician asked a parent to videotape a behavior for diagnostic purposes, I believe a court would find such recording an exception to any law prohibiting such. If the person doing the recording was my client, I would ensure it is delivered to the physician as soon as possible after... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for Arizona on
Q: Pretended to being a criminal online

If someone pretended to be a criminal online and someone reported them, what could happen? This guy is an idiot and was using an app called "Whisper" and told people he was a rapist but never actually raped anyone, he was just getting off.. If he was reported, how much trouble could he... Read more »

Stewart Salwin
Stewart Salwin answered on Apr 23, 2020

As to the first part of your question: A general criminal law principle known as the corpus delicti rule provides that a confession, standing alone, isn’t enough for a conviction. The rule is designed to prevent wrongful convictions, and originates from the phenomenon of false confessions.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Are there Pro-Bono Lawyers that help Criminal Case in Arizona?

My brother is being extradited back to Maricopa County from New Mexico. He has 10 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor for possession of internet porn. He was told by a defense lawyer found on the internet that it would be over $30,000 to defend him. He has no means. He has lost his job and is... Read more »

K. Bryan Goodman
K. Bryan Goodman answered on Mar 3, 2020

A public defender or court appointed attorney will be appointed at the arraignment.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Construction Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Q: Can a 3rd party contractor sue for negative online reviews if no money exchanged hands

We are a 3rd party contractor for Home Warranty companies. And customers of the home warranty company are posting negative online reviews, some for reasons out of our hands, due to our restrictions in our contract with the home warranty company. Can we issue a cease and desist and sue if the... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 21, 2019

If you consulted with an attorney regarding such a letter or legal action, they would likely want to see each individual review. If they're negative, it's possible that in itself is not necessarily actionable. An attorney who deals with defamation would examine if they were false and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Is it possible for the defendant to request an extension on their response to the summons?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 9, 2019

Yes, this happens routinely in the course of litigation. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Gov & Administrative Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I be charged at all if someone commits suicide after watching a YouTube video that I posted a comment on?

A few years ago I left a comment in the comment section of a YouTube video. This video wasn't mine, but essentially dismissed the legitimacy of depression and similar mental illnesses. I said some pretty unenlightened things about depressed people in my comment (e.g. that they're... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 8, 2019

A) The statute of limitations (law setting a deadline by which charges must be filed or a claim made) has likely run on this event. B) Opinion is almost always protected speech unless it is inflammatory, contains untruths, or is damaging to a person's professional reputation. C) It is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Construction Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: can i press charges for hacking email and sharing data

my ex wife hacked my email took medical paper off and sent it to the ex im in custody battle with she in turn entered into evidence through a motion and no i didnt file for strict compliance.

Rich J. Peters
Rich J. Peters answered on May 30, 2019

As a family law attorney, I can only address how this issue could be addressed in Family Court. You would need to discuss whether criminal charges are appropriate with a law enforcement officer. In Family Court, you can certainly complain about the method in which she obtained this information in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Business Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: I have a default judgement in Pima Co against seller in Washington state.

I purchased several gold coins at auction and paid by personel check. Seller has only provided one out of eight coins and I'm still owed about $8000 and other fees. Do I hire a lawyer in Pima Co or Washington state? I need to place a lien or attach seller's assets based on judgement.

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Mar 4, 2019

It will depend on where the defendant is or has assets.

Most likely you need an attorney in that jurisdiction.

From the facts you mentioned it looks like you should look for an attorney in WA.

If you got a judgement in AZ, possibly you can domesticate it in WA and enforce it.

Best luck

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law, International Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I sue a business partner in India for not releasing my contracts back to me?

An international attorney may best be suited to answer this question.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg answered on Oct 23, 2018

Of course, but that may not be the question you want to ask. You want to ask “Where May I sue my partner for depriving me of my rights under my contracts with him?” That Answer depends on where the contracts were made; it may depend on where the contracts were intended to be performed; and it... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I use someone else's photos on my website?

Images are taken from company's website directly, proper display that I do not own the images.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 21, 2018

An attorney familiar with copyright law could be in the best position to answer your question after determining your planned use of the images, whether the images are in the public domain, are protected by copyright, image usage licenses, their use would violate privacy rights, their use would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: If a person doesn't close their email on another persons phone. Can the phone owner use emails in court?
Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Mar 7, 2017

It will depend on the circumstances of the offer, as out-of-court statements, including emails, are hearsay. But the phone owner cannot be charged with a criminal violation for viewing emails without hacking into the account.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Q: Q: university employe makes phony email "false" reply to me and her boss to incriminate me.the true is on email servers.

university employee uses oficial email to make up an attached copy of an email "fake" to make belive her boss that she already send me the info, that can stop my relation with university..can i take legal action?... the true is at the university email servers and in my hotmail server ...... Read more »

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 21, 2017

Yes. You can secure the evidence with a court order or maybe a third party subpoena. Best advice is to get a lawyer since it can be technical to figure all this out.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I expose a known liar online without persecution
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Oct 5, 2016

You have freedom of expression under the First Amendment. That right does not extend to defamation or other torts. If you have doubts about whether to do whatever you are contemplating, consult an attorney first.

1 Answer | Asked in Internet Law for Arizona on
Q: VOLTAREN is a trademark medicine. Can i buy the exact name domain? Does med trademarks contain domain restrictions?

I am a domain investor and i buy expired domain names. I want to know if the domain names containing exact match medicine names (trademarked) can be bought or their trademarks restrict this? For e.g Voltaren is a registered trademark. Can i buy a domain for e.g and then use it or... Read more »

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Nov 8, 2015

This is a very fact-specific question, the answer to which will depend on many factors, so much more information is needed to answer. A trademark lawyer can assist.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.