Hamilton, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Can I refuse the mother picking up her son if I know the driver doesn’t have license and insurance?

I just found out the grandparents who drive the mother during child exchange have recent history of losing their license. There currently is an active bench warrant for the grandfather for failure to appear for a court case dealing with driving under suspension and uninsured. Can I refuse to allow pickup without proof? And can I ask a judge to mandate the 2 primary drivers submit proof of license and insurance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You may refuse. This may not stop Mother from filing a complaint. You will simply have a defense should the matter go to court. It is vital that you not refuse outright but simply as to this mode of transportation. Should you wish to amend your parenting plan you would need to file a motion to revise parental rights and responsibilities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.