San Jose, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Need help on my pass divorced that was filed in Abilene Texas year 1994 filed by my ex-husband (retired Airmen).

Want to know if I can claim for his retirement benefits after the divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Texas, retirement benefits can be considered community property and may be subject to division between spouses during a divorce. However, the specifics of how these assets were allocated would typically be laid out in your divorce decree or separation agreement. If your divorce decree from 1994 includes provisions for a share of your ex-husband's retirement benefits, then you may have a claim. If it doesn't, altering the terms after the fact could be challenging.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.