Bakersfield, CA asked in Public Benefits for California

Q: What do i do about food stamp investigation case against me?

An investigator contacted me and said i may have committed foodstamp fraud, my husband and i dont qualify for foodstamps just the kids. I applied after being denied but without him on my paperwork due to is unable to work out issues we both decided that he would leave to go stay is what i believed, if someone moves on i have 10 days to notify the dhs; 7 separate occasions we tried to "fix" our issues so we could live once again in the same house but with in a couple of day we weren't doing well. So then he would say hes he is going back to his dads. We never made it close to 10days so i didn't notify dhs because he left again. He would come over daily after work and before. He spent a night or two with the kids. He parked his vehicles in front of the house. He didnt eat here he is a cook so he would bring food home. He was able to be here maintaining the yard and pets cause his parents house is next door. I had a renewal and it asked if any changes happened . I said no i was honest

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In this situation, it's important to cooperate with the food stamp investigation and provide all requested information and documentation. If you believe you made an honest mistake in your reporting due to your husband's intermittent presence, you should explain this to the investigator. It's advisable to consult with an attorney experienced in public benefits and administrative law to ensure your rights are protected during the investigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.