Atherton, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant, Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Small Claims for California

Q: How do I report a Landlord that lives with their tenants and bullyies one of them 3 or 4 day a week for the last year?

My sister and I have been living with her friend she met while working at Kaiser Hospital in San Francisco. For the last nine years we have been living in Fair Oaks, CA. The home belongs to my sisters friend. My sister and I are both low-income senior citizens. I trade work for rent and sometimes paid $$ for extra work and running errands. The problem is my sister and the women had a relationship in the past. They are only friends now. My sister is not a Lesbian and she doesn not want me to leave the house without her. The women loves my sister as a friend and possibly more, though my sister and I share a room. The last year the women that owns the house has been bullying me , harrazsing me, and picking fights weekly now it is daily. She says I can say and do whatever I please, this is my property. She is jealous of our close sister relationship and she feels I am in the way of their friendship and possibly more. Unsure what her motive is. I have begun packing.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if a tenant believes they are being harassed or bullied by their landlord, they can contact local law enforcement to report the behavior, especially if it becomes threatening or violent. Additionally, a restraining order might be sought if the harassment reaches a level where one feels endangered. Consultation with a local attorney experienced in landlord-tenant matters may provide specific guidance tailored to your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.