Seattle, WA asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My question relates to someone who impersonated me via email and phone.

I gave my personal info to someone for a business transaction, but he used it to obtain an apartment, with me as a guarantor. He created a fake email and phone number and impersonated me to lease the apartment. I was never contacted by management at any time previous to the signing of the lease and move-in. I have not seen the signature page of the lease but I do have the phone/email he created. I am in Seattle, he is in California.

What civil matters or crimes fall under this activity?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, impersonating someone to fraudulently obtain an apartment lease can fall under identity theft (Penal Code Section 530.5) and may also be considered forgery (Penal Code Section 470) if he signed any documents using your name. Additionally, this activity may give rise to civil liabilities, including fraudulent misrepresentation. It is essential to act promptly, report the matter to local law enforcement, and seek legal counsel to address both potential criminal charges against the impersonator and any civil remedies available to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.