Minneapolis, MN asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Iowa

Q: I quit my job at dollar general, due to being overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid. Also a couple other reasons.

I have been thinking about quitting for quite a while, things that have happened the last few weeks just escalated my decision. The new manager that took over treated me so badly not to mention telling the other employees that she was going to fire me she hadn’t said a single thing to me about firing me. I was the assistant manager and had been working there for almost 7yrs, never once had I been treated this badly. So bad that I didn’t even feel like I could go into our office let alone be inside the store. I want to know if I have grounds to sue dollar general. I also had worked from the end of march until the middle of July, trying to keep my store open with only three employees only 3or4 days off the whole time working 2 - 4 double shifts each week.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Quitting because you are unhappy with how you are treated by a new manager does not give rise to a cause of action. You have every right to quit for such reasons under the employment at will doctrine. Dollar General cannot successfully sue you for quitting, but you cannot sue it for you quitting either.

Mindi Vervaecke
Mindi Vervaecke pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: You need to call an attorney who specializes in employment law. I recommend www.employmentlawiowa.com or www.timmerjudkins.com

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.