Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Libel & Slander legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Iowa Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: unlawful entry by an officer who then later made false statement to CPS worker

2 officers came to daughters house..male on porch at door, female out on sidewalk pacing..he stated had a call in complaint, I wasn't being detained or under arrest, just wanted to ask question...I stepped out on porch shut door...answered male officer truthfully and honestly, female officer... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 15, 2024

It's important to address this situation by gathering all available evidence, including the video your daughter recorded and any documentation from CPS. Document your interactions with the officers and CPS, noting dates, times, and details of the conversations. This information will be vital... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: I quit my job at dollar general, due to being overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid. Also a couple other reasons.

I have been thinking about quitting for quite a while, things that have happened the last few weeks just escalated my decision. The new manager that took over treated me so badly not to mention telling the other employees that she was going to fire me she hadn’t said a single thing to me about... View More

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 24, 2023

Quitting because you are unhappy with how you are treated by a new manager does not give rise to a cause of action. You have every right to quit for such reasons under the employment at will doctrine. Dollar General cannot successfully sue you for quitting, but you cannot sue it for you quitting... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: Located in iowa, I was sitting at a caseys with my friend when a man came in and started accusing me of being drunk.

I'm a minor and I was not drinking. He also slandered my friends. When I followed him outside to get his plates he had his girlfriend block the plates and then I recorded him from a safe distance. The following Monday I was called in to the school because he called in saying I had a gun and... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 5, 2023

An Iowa attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your question may have gone unnoticed because it was posted in "Small Claims," which doesn't usually handle defamation. There's a section here labelled "Libel & Slander." Some... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Iowa on
Q: Can a shared post on Facebook be worthy of defamation if part is public record and part is photo evidence of the injury?

My friends boyfriend recently inflicted bodily harm to her. 911 was called and he is facing two charges of domestic abuse. There was a post on Facebook showing a screenshot of his arrest record- public record- and pictures of my friends injuries (split lip, swollen eyes, bruises, etc.).... View More

Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
answered on Apr 23, 2018

"Threatening" to sue for defamation is much different than actually recovering damages based on a defamation claim. Truth is a classic defense to a defamation claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander and Real Estate Law for Iowa on
Q: Is it legal to post pictures and tell someone's address on Facebook after their house gets condemned
Erik Luthens
Erik Luthens
answered on Feb 21, 2018

Generally, a condemnation order is a public document generated by a local governmental agency. Accordingly, identifying the address of a condemned property on social media wouldn’t be libelous.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: What is a soon-to-be 55 year old woman to do in the case of slander/age discrimination?

It seems as though the laws may be stacked against me as there is no way to prove age discrimination either... I've been shunned by my peers who also have a degree in Accounting.

Harley C. Erbe
Harley C. Erbe
answered on Jan 14, 2018

There's not enough information to evaluate your question. The short answer about what to do is to meet with a lawyer to discuss the situation and determine whether you have a legal claim. From the cynicism in your question, it sounds like you may already have done that and received a poor... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Iowa on
Q: is it wise to attempt a slander suit on my own?

I am an in-home caregiver and the daughter of a client has made exaggerated and false statements to my office regarding how I provided care for her mother resulting in a written warning

Harley C. Erbe
Harley C. Erbe
answered on Jan 14, 2018

It's never a good idea to handle anything but a small claims case without a lawyer. Also, defamation cases are difficult to win, particularly when the statements at issue will be defended as statements of opinion. Opinions are protected under the First Amendment; they usually cannot form the... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.