Hemet, CA asked in Civil Rights, Elder Law, Landlord - Tenant and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: Been removed and locked out of my rental of ten years with no notification based on a TRO that was removed/case dismisse

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if a tenant is locked out of their rental property without proper legal procedures, it may constitute an illegal eviction or "lockout." If the Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) was removed and the case dismissed, there should typically be no legal basis for preventing you from returning to your rental. If you believe you've been wrongfully evicted, you should consider seeking legal assistance to assert your rights and potentially recover damages.

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Jess Ranch, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to supply a lot more detail to allow me to answer this question.

The best thing you can do is to prepare a chronological detail of all of the events. Identify all witnesses, and include their personal information like telephone numbers, etc. Assemble all of your documents, and make a set of copies to provide to whatever lawyer you contact. Then start contacting and interviewing lawyers until you find one who will review your case for you. Do not delay, as time is of the essence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.