Seattle, WA asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: The Legal Lessor locked me out of my business he violently forced me out of the store, and I filed a case in police depa

The Legal Lessor locked me out of my business he violently forced me out of the store, and I filed a case in police department.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Generally speaking, a commercial landlord can only exercise its right to lockout a commercial tenant if the tenant has failed to timely pay rent, and must provide a key for access to the premises promptly when the tenant cures any default in the payment of rent.

If the landlord wrongfully locked you out, you should be able to secure a writ of reentry by declaring under penalty of perjury that you have paid all rent due and owing.

Talk to a lawyer who practices in the area of commercial landlord-tenant law in or near the county where the premises are located to get a better idea of what your rights may be under the circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.