Q: I've lost everything. My Ex-husband stole my identity, 2019, and ultimately my home of 18yrs in 2021. Is there a case?

I have my warranty deed, as well as the warranty deed of the woman I purchased my home from before Matthew and I were even married. In our divorce it states we have no claim to any belongings or property of the other. Also in decree, this will come up later, I had my last name legally changed back to my maiden name - Lawe. So no longer Hastings.

I left the home in my sons care in the summer of 2021 and moved in with my fiance. We were married in November 2021. In May of 2022 my daughter came over screaming at me, "Why did you sell our childhood home to that scumbag for fifty thousand dollars!" And some other choice words before taking my grandkids away. We haven't talked since. I was torn apart that day. So my fiance and I went to Newaygo County Deeds Office and found out Matthew got a quit claim in his name in October of 2021. I paid $10 to get a copy of this quit claim and there was a signature, forged - Tersa Hastings/ Start. This document stamped by a State of Michigan notary.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
  • Dexter, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: A forged deed is not valid. You can file suit to challenge the forged deed and regain possession of your property. The notary may also have liability, and the notary probably posted a bond in the amount of $10,000 from which you might recover. You should consult with an attorney because the process of challenging the forged deed is too complex for me to outline in this response.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.