Quincy, IL asked in Elder Law and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can my sister (POA of my 92yo mother in a nursing home) get an order of protection to prevent my visits with her?

She rarely visits her & I'm there every day. Our other siblings don't care. She has lied to our mom about how she can't sell her house to me by law & other things regarding the spending of mom's money. She has also started buying luxury items & vacations etc. All I want to do is see my mom & not have to deal with the drama that surrounds my sister.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: File a Motion for Accounting of your Mother's Assets. Maybe you can find that she has misused your Mother's money. Then you have a basis to have her removed as POA and may be able to file for guardianship.

It is possible that an Order of Protection could be sought. Talk to a lawyer about your concerns.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.