Las Vegas, NV asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Nevada

Q: What can I do about court documents on my case that don’t belong to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In Nevada, if you discover court documents in your case file that don't pertain to you, you should take immediate action. First, ensure you've accurately identified the documents and their irrelevance. Next, contact the court clerk's office to bring the error to their attention. If the issue isn't rectified, consider filing a motion with the court to correct the record, outlining the specific discrepancies. Supporting evidence or context can bolster your claim. If the situation remains unresolved, consult with an attorney to guide you further, as having inaccurate documents in your case file can impact your legal proceedings.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.