Greenville, SC asked in Contracts, Personal Injury and Civil Litigation for South Carolina

Q: My storage unit was broken into through the inside,the unit next to mine was rented and they broke the walls.

The property manager said the cameras weren’t working at the time of the robbery but the district manager said they do work they need the monitors fixed. I haven’t received any updates or anything from the public storage. They haven’t fixed the walls that were damaged in the unit either. They stole all my personal items things I can’t get back. They broke my dads urn and stole the things he left for me. They stole all our birth certificates, social security cards and my high school diploma. They took my kids belongings as well. I want to see if I can sue them for negligence, property loss and pain and suffering. Also I have insurance but things that were taking are worth more than the max limit the insurance is offering

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should make a claim on your insurance for the value of the stolen items. Your insurance company will be subrogated to any lawsuit you may file. If the thieves are identified, you likely have a very good lawsuit against them, but they may not have any non-exempt assets to satisfy any judgment that may be entered against them. That's why people carry insurance.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.