Eugene, OR asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Oregon

Q: can ex's new wife decide if i can speak with my son or not

recent marriage and she has called me to yell at me for giving my son a sinus nasal spray, she doesn't communicate with me and tell me that she took my son to the ER, She told me that there is no court order that says she has to let my son talk to me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Leskin
Steven Leskin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: A step parent has no legal authority over a child. The legal authority is reserved to the biologic or adoptive parents. Unless there is a court order, a new spouse married to an ex does not have any authority to decide how to raise the child and certainly cannot tell you whether you can or cannot speak to your own child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.