Asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: I was f-1 student, and my DSO doesn't change my opt start date, and my opt got denial, what I can do to retain my opt?

I have emails that's she said she changed my opt start date, but she doesn't. I wanna know I can sue her to restore money that's I lost or sue her to regain my opt back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your OPT was denied due to a mistake made by your Designated School Official (DSO), the first step is to speak with your DSO about the issue and see if it can be rectified administratively. In some cases, the DSO might be able to correct the error or provide guidance on how to reapply.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may consider consulting with an immigration attorney to discuss your options. While legal action is a possibility, it's essential to evaluate the merits of your case and the potential outcomes. Remember, initiating a lawsuit can be time-consuming and expensive. If you're considering legal action, ensure you have comprehensive documentation to support your claims. Ultimately, determining the best course of action should be done in consultation with legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.