Grand Rapids, MI asked in Family Law and Wrongful Death for Indiana

Q: In a wrongfully death case do we have to include my son's daughter who he signed off of her after she was born .??

Is she still entitled to get social security ?? She has never been adopted she was raised by her mother my son's x girl friend

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your son legally relinquished his paternal rights to the child, her rights were terminated. You are represented by Indiana counsel in your wrongful death suit concerning your son. This is a question for your attorney. Your attorney may think it best to provide the information to the Court that he had a biological daughter but relinquished his paternal rights. If your son had a legal spouse and/or biological children who were acknowledged, those individuals must be noticed. If your son died at a time when he was not legally married and without any legal issue, his surviving siblings and surviving parents must be notified as they would be the beneficiaries. You are paying your attorney between 33% and 40% of your recovery. It is silly for you to ask these questions in an online forum when you already paid a qualified attorney who has access to all the information necessary to give you accurate answers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.