Cedar City, UT asked in Contracts, Employment Law and Civil Litigation for Utah

Q: When signing a contract for a specific amount of hours per day can an employer cut those hours without consent?

I started working for a program that advertised and was written in my onboarding documents as paying 16 hours per day. They have since asked for the same level of comitment and hourly work but only will allow me to report 13 hours without getting approval beforehand for overtime. I never signed any documents allowing them to cut my hours. Is this legal? Do they have this right as my employer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hello,

Utah is an at-will employment state. Meaning that either one of you can terminate the employer/employee relationship at any time for any reason.

From your description, I am not sure if you are a 1099 employee or an actual employee. Unless you are on salary I don't see how they can ask you to work more hours than what they are willing to pay for. You are basically negotiating your wage again. And because either side has the ability to end the relationship unilaterally, that can happen at any time.

Unless you have a contract that specifically guarantees you a job at a certain rate for a certain period of time, it doesn't sound like the company is breaching contract or doing anything illegal. However, if they hired you for $x/hr and they don't pay you $x/hr then that would be a breach of contract for which you could recover.

I hope this helps.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.