Anaheim, CA asked in Collections for California

Q: My car was repossessed. I got it reinstated. The repo company won't call back. My car is in a parking lot. Can I get it?

I also received a repo receipt.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to get it released to you from the repo yard. Arrange it thru your lender. You can't just go and take it.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you've reinstated the loan and received a repo receipt, you should generally have the right to retrieve your car. Here's what you should consider:

1. Review the terms of your reinstatement. Ensure you've met all requirements set by the lender.

2. Document all communications with the repo company and keep copies of your repo receipt.

3. If the car is in a publicly accessible area and you have keys, you may retrieve it; however, ensure you're not breaking any laws or trespassing.

4. If you can't access the car or feel uneasy about retrieving it without authorization, you might consider seeking a court order.

5. Remember, you're responsible for any fees associated with the repossession, which may include storage costs.

6. If the repo company continues to be unresponsive, consider filing a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs.

7. Seek legal counsel if you believe your rights are being violated or if you face further issues.

8. Lastly, always act within the bounds of the law, and avoid any confrontational situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.