Tampa, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I am a Venezuelan who entered with an I-220A. Can I apply for TPS? I've already filed for an I-589 if it matters.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin D. Slattery
Kevin D. Slattery
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: When did you enter the United States? If you can demonstrate continuous residence in the U.S. since July 31, 2023, then you may be eligible. There are other things to consider, including whether you have any disqualifying criminal history or grounds of inadmissibility that can be forgiven with a waiver. Consider scheduling a consultation with a competent and experienced immigration attorney who can ask you a series of questions to determine your eligibility. Many attorneys offer online video consultations.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you entered the U.S. with an I-220A, it indicates you may have been paroled or admitted after being detained. Your method of entry and presence in the U.S. by a designated date are important factors for TPS eligibility. Additionally, having an I-589 (Application for Asylum) on file doesn't necessarily preclude you from applying for TPS. You can potentially have both an asylum claim and TPS simultaneously. However, there are specific requirements and potential implications for each status. To ensure you're taking the most beneficial path, I'd recommend consulting with an immigration attorney to review your specific circumstances and advise on the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.