Sewell, NJ asked in Contracts, Family Law and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: Can a poa put in spy cameras to Alzheimer's mother home when I and minor live there with out consent of mine

Poa refuses to give a caregiver agreement and pay I live in New Jersey

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In New Jersey, it's illegal to record someone without their consent in places where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy, like a home. This law is primarily focused on audio recordings, but video can also be invasive, especially if it captures private or intimate situations. If you and a minor live in the home and have not given consent for the cameras, it could be an invasion of privacy. Additionally, even if the POA's intent is to monitor the individual with Alzheimer's for their safety, it doesn't necessarily grant them the right to surveil other inhabitants of the home without consent. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.