Chickasha, OK asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: can parents decide custody\child support on their own when filling divorce in Ok and Ok courts honor the agreement

we are discussing divorce we have already decided on a mutual agreement of assets (what little there is) all going to her and she offered to take full custody but wants zero child support a combination of reasons but mostly my career would not allow me to be the holder and visitation would be very rarely possible

so we would prefer to keep everything as a "do what is possible at the moment" agreement

but we are unsure if this agreement can or would be honored in the Oklahoma courts

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In most situations you can deviate from the guidelines, especially if both sides have an attorney, or more specifically the one who would be affected more than the guidelines would reflect. In other words if the one receiving was getting less, if that person was represented, or if one was paying more then they being represented. However, if there is any state aid involved , soonercare, daycare assistance, etc… then DHS has to be notified as well and they may not allow the deviation as they have to sign off on things since the state is providing finances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.