Dallas, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: How do I get rid of my ex-girlfriend that has taken over my camper that I own when she has nowhere to go?

She is also clinically crazy been committed quite a few times and her family will not take her in they keep bringing her back to my house she's also violent and suicidal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are some potential steps to remove an ex-girlfriend who has taken over your camper in Arkansas:

- Provide proper written notice to vacate. Give her 30 days written notice to vacate the premises since she has established residency in the camper.

- If she refuses to leave after proper notice, you can file for a failure to vacate eviction with the courts. This involves submitting an Unlawful Detainer lawsuit.

- If she has threatened violence or you fear for your safety, you may want to have police present when asking her to leave or delivering eviction papers. Tell them you fear violence from someone you want removed.

- At the eviction hearing, provide evidence it is your camper and she was only allowed to stay as a guest. Bring the title, registration, etc. Her mental health issues alone are not grounds for immediate eviction in AR.

- If she is only listed as an emergency contact for any utilities, have the services shut off after she is removed so she cannot try to reconnect them.

- Change the locks once she is officially evicted so she cannot return and retake possession of the camper.

- Do not attempt illegal "self-help" evictions like shutting off utilities or removing her belongings while she is still a resident. Use the proper legal eviction process.

- If she returns and tries to enter the camper after evicted, call the police and seek a restraining order if needed for safety.

I know dealing with a difficult ex is stressful, but following the proper legal process is crucial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.