Baltimore, MD asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Maryland

Q: Can I sue a hotel if me and another family members medications and money were stolen from our room?

I was on vacation out of state and a family member realized her things were rummaged through when we came back from an event and items were missing. I noticed my medication and money was gone the next day when I went to take them. This happened in South Carolina and I live in Baltimore. The hotel has been dragging their feet with investigating. They referred us to their insurance company but we have not heard anything from them. This occurred August 5-6.

I'm not sure which category this would fall under or which attorney to contact.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Eidelberg
Lee Eidelberg
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The simple answer to the question of whether you can sue the hotel is "yes." However your need an attorney admitted to practice in SC and evidence that the hotel's staff was negligent in some manner. Presumably, the doors to the rooms lock automatically upon exiting the room so that any purported theft occurred while the room was unlocked while being cleaned by staff. Practically speaking, the amount of the actual loss may well discourage an attorney from taking on the case, because the legal fees associated with pursuing a suit would far exceed the possible recovery. Thus, you may be left with simply trying to harangue the insurance carrier to reimburse you for losses you can establish resulted from a theft from your room.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.