Spokane, WA asked in Foreclosure and Probate for Ohio

Q: My brother named me as trustee of his estate. Am I required to act as his trustee or responsible for any of his debts?

His house is being foreclosed on. I have no interest in his estate. He is divorced so neither does his ex-wife and his only son is a minor. His mortgage company and the county court keep sending me foreclosure documents and demand payment of his mortgage. I sent his son's attorney a letter asking to be removed as trustee and relinquish all rights and responsibilities as such. I never agreed to being named trustee of his estate. What am I legally required to do and am I legally personally responsible for anything regarding my deceased brother's estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You are not required to accept the duties and obligations of trustee. To the extent that you have accepted the duties and wish to resign, I recommend obtaining counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.