Q: Does Childtime sharing start before paperwork is signed by a judge?

As a father I was awarded 100% custody of our two young children through a domestic violence injunction order. Mother responded with a petition for paternity. I wasn't able to afford legal representation for trial on September 29th and somewhat poorly represented myself and the interest of our children. The mother was awarded 50/50 custody. The Magistrate ordered that when child support would be entered that it would begin on the 1st of October. He then LED on to say that the mother would have the first week and that the paperwork should be in within a week. There is still no paperwork and the clerk informed me that it's still in the bin. Her lawyer contacted me on the 9th and threaten me with contempt saying that I was supposed to give the children to the mother on the 1st with no documentation. I gave them to her this past Sunday and my daughter has missed 3 days of school. Mother is very suspect of NPD. I have the recording of trial and can't tell what I'm actually supposed to do

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Technically, you should follow whatever the judge orders, even if it is verbal. The written order should match what was said verbally. If you have an issue with what you should do then you must return to court to ask for clarification. If you have concerns about the children missing school when they are with the other parent then you can file a motion. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.