Schaumburg, IL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: I am ordered to pay back pay of child support but lost my job in July currently on unemployment. What can I do?

I am ordered to pay back pay of child support but lost my job in July and my unemployment was denied but recently got it appealed but I was so backed up in my bills for the last few months so I caught up as much as I can. I owe 4,200 in support and only have 2,800. My court date is on October 24th for sentencing. Im afraid that I’ll get sentenced to jail. Is there anything I can do? is there anything I can file to give me more time or is there anything I can file to show I don’t have the income to make these current support payments since I’m on unemployment?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I don't know what you can do at this point. It sounds like you have been representing yourself, already have been found in contempt and are awaiting sentencing. Under the facts presented here, there should not have been a contempt finding and there would be no sentencing hearing. So I am missing something.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.