Dallas, TX asked in Bankruptcy, Tax Law and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: I was served papers yesterday for contempt of court by my ex-husband stating I did not pay tax debt how to proceed?

papers state I did not pay the debt (an amended return was declined because of it was filed to late because he would not sign the amendment) however it has all been paid as far as I know, I have all my tax returns but I'm not sure how to proceed, do I need to get a lawyer? can I just submit all my tax returns? I'm not sure what to do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Samuel  Landis
Samuel Landis pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA

A: It is a good idea to immediately file your tax returns. If needed, you can obtain your income transcripts directly from the IRS so that you have a record of your income that was reported to the IRS from which you may start return preparation.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You should hire a lawyer and let him resolve for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.