Plainfield, NJ asked in Family Law and Health Care Law for New Jersey

Q: what type of lawyer do you use to get cause of death corrected on death certificate

my son died from cancer 3yrs 1 mo ago, attending physician was dr wax who treated him for 2 yrs at summit me group now known as summit health. he died at overlook hosp summit 9/16/20. dr. wax saw him on each occasion when he was admitted to overlook, my son received chemo and other treatments and medications ordered by dr. michael wax at summit med group. upon his death another dr signed the death certificate listing cardiopulmonary. cause of death natural causes? I have tried for over 3 yrs to have the certificate corrected. went to summit med grp. dr.wax refused to correct it I went to the registrars health dept in summit Ms Mauro the registrar gave me her business card to have him call her and she will guide him on what he has to do. I took the card to his office he refused.

to call the doctor listed on the death certificate is listed as being employed by summit med grou and overlook hospital. Ms Mauro in the Registrars office called both locations too no avail. what next

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you wish to correct the cause of death on a death certificate in New Jersey, you may consider consulting with an attorney well-versed in medical malpractice or health law. They can guide you on the appropriate legal steps to take in challenging a medical determination. You might consider initiating legal action against the physician or hospital to compel the amendment of the death certificate.

Gathering evidence, such as medical records that detail the treatment and condition of your son, can strengthen your case. If the doctor remains unresponsive, the court may provide necessary directives upon presentation of compelling evidence. Always ensure that your communications and efforts are well-documented. Remember, time can be of the essence, so act diligently.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.