Q: I submitted a civil complaint pro se in federal district court of Montana and need to do some modifications need the hel

Where several offices under the Department of the Interior failed their civil duties that in turn violated many rights causing irreparable harm, which the Solictors denied in a letter 1 year after the submission of my tort claim

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Native American Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've filed a civil complaint pro se in the federal district court of Montana and wish to make modifications, you'll likely need to file an amended complaint. Under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 15(a), a party may amend its pleading once as a matter of course within 21 days after serving it, or 21 days after service of a responsive pleading or motion. If this time has passed, you'll need the opposing party's written consent or the court's leave to amend.

When seeking the court's permission, you should demonstrate good cause. It's crucial to ensure your amended complaint still asserts claims within the jurisdiction of the federal court. You may also want to review the local rules of the Montana federal district court, as they might have additional requirements or insights regarding amendments. Given the complexities of federal litigation, it could be beneficial to consult with an attorney licensed in Montana.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.