Sacramento, CA asked in Banking, Communications Law and Internet Law for California

Q: If I was involved in the Data Breach 04/28/2022. I would like to know if I could ask OTP for a complete new computer ?

My IPAddress is breached and I have to get that too. My banks and all my information is being used. Buy whoever and I'm constantly cleaning up my personal info. I'm having problems one after another.

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, companies that experience a data breach are required to provide notice to affected residents. If you've been harmed by a data breach, you might be entitled to certain remedies, but the specific relief will depend on the circumstances and any proven negligence or statutory violations by the company in question. Merely having your IP address exposed typically does not necessitate a new computer; however, it's essential to ensure all systems are secure.

If you can prove damages and that the company was at fault, you could potentially recover compensation through litigation or settlement. It's advisable to take immediate protective measures, such as changing passwords and monitoring financial accounts. If you believe you have sustained significant harm, consulting with an attorney familiar with cyber liability and data breach incidents would be beneficial to understand your rights and potential remedies further. Remember, each situation is unique, and available remedies may vary based on specific facts and circumstances.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: If others were impacted, there could be standard damages established - it could depend on the nature and extent - damages are determined on a case-by-case basis. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.