Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: My daughter died 6 years ago , she was being taken from jail from court in a suv driven by probation officer ,

She also had 2 other probation officers in car

She was handcuffed , seat belted in and managed to jump from car on way to jail . She was lifeflighted from scene and pronounced brain dead after waiting to hear from lawyers I hired I had I contacted they said they could not take case , because it was criminal case I thought I had 2 months to find lawyers to take case.

Recently told there was no deadline for crimal case

She had 5 children who lost a mother. I lost only daughter, at time I was given guardianship over her . According to lawyer I did have she was found clear after she went from scene to hospital and that was reason for arrest was she was dirty ,

Can I still file lawsuit for me and her kids???!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda  Malek
Linda Malek pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I am so sorry that you lost your daughter. What a terrible story. Unfortunately, there is a 2 year statute of limitations according to my colleague regarding these types of cases. You are unable to file the lawsuit because of this. Again, I am so sorry to hear this.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.