North Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Arkansas criminal defense attorney

My friend is in prison and has been for a year now. I hired an attorney for him last year. He's being charged with serious felonies. The attorney has not been to see him a single time and hasn't really done anything. I tried to fire her, and she said she would stay on the case anyway.... the case is in lonoke county and they're kind of known for being crooked.. is this a red flag? How do I fire her anyway? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: The attorney-client relationship is between your friend and his lawyer regardless of who pays lawyer's fees. If he wishes to terminate that relationship, he can do so. The Court may not let attorney off the case given the time that has passed since the case was filed. However, if he hires another lawyer or insists on representing himself (absolutely, not a good idea) the Court will likely allow a substitution of counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.