Baton Rouge, LA asked in Tax Law, Business Formation and Business Law for Louisiana

Q: Old company under my name I need to clean my name

I use to work for company they asked me to open company under my name I agreed to help but later after months they said they closed the company but after that I was getting mail about toll fees and I got mail from irs say I owe money I moved from my address so I can’t get no more mail I don’t have much information but I know the company name and I want to find what I owe and how I can clean my name to not effect my green card status and for future.

1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel  Landis
Samuel Landis pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Beverly Hills, CA

A: This is a difficult situation. You will need to actively prove to the IRS that you should not be responsible for the taxes due. Hopefully, there is time to file an appeal. If not, there are other ways to remove the liability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.