Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Social Security and Business Law for Alabama

Q: I’m on disability can I run a nonprofit animal rescue without it affecting my social security?

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you receive Social Security disability benefits, engaging in activities like running a nonprofit can affect your benefits if it is considered "substantial gainful activity" (SGA). The Social Security Administration (SSA) allows beneficiaries to work while receiving disability benefits within certain limits.

The key factor is how much you earn and the nature of your work. It's important to report any work or volunteer activity to the SSA. They provide specific guidelines for what counts as work and how much you can earn without affecting your disability benefits.

To ensure you remain within the guidelines, you may wish to consult with an attorney who understands disability law or contact the SSA directly for advice tailored to your specific situation. Remember, staying informed about the rules can help you maintain your benefits while contributing to a cause you care about.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: One option is to reach out to a social security disability attorney to discuss. In addition to your searches, there is a section here (Find a Lawyer). Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.