Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Business Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Contracts for Alabama on
Q: Hi We cancelled our wedding due to covid. The wedding planner contract says she can keep all money paid to her.

My mother has paid 1500 of a 2000 contract. 500 of that was after we already expressed worries about the date. The wedding planner was contracted for day of services, photography, videography, flowers, photo booth, dj, invites, and some decorations. I never got anything that she was supposedly... Read more »

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Nov 18, 2020

If the contract is governed under Alabama law, you should look at the contract itself. ALabama is a very conservative state in terms of contract law. The terms of the contract will govern, and courts are very reluctant to decide that this is just unfair to you. You should hire a lawyer in the state... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Is it illegal to post links to audio recorded books on YouTube for my educational resources website?

I'm launching a membership and stand alone sales program covering copyrighted novels, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc. where I develop and sell learning workbooks to complement learning using the novels.

I will sell membership plans for the resources I create.

Is... Read more »

John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak answered on Jun 25, 2020

Under copyright law 17 USC 106, the owner of a copyrighted work has the exclusive right to copy, prepare derivative works, distribute copies, publicly perform, publicly display – of their copyrighted work.

A derivative work is a work made from another work – with other descriptions of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: Is it possible to have someone on my behalf to sign real estate or legal documents for a Realestate transaction?

I want to start an LLC, as an absentee landlord & investor, I wan to employ a contractor whom will inspect my potential properties and sign purchase agreements, as well as other important documents for the procurement of properties. Is this legal to do in Alabama?

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman answered on Jun 16, 2020

Possible and very easy. Just execute a special power of attorney empowering the person whom you want to sign documents to do just that. Be careful and make sure it is properly drafted.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Is it against the law that mbtech technology at Mercedes Benz if a female can not be a technician there.

I have been there 5 years and knowledge to work on these cars but i was told by mbtech boss and Mercedes that i can not be a technician.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 27, 2019

You'd probably want the input of an employment attorney on this question. You could repost and add Employment Law as a category. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Q: As a developer, does my employer own rights to my side projects that I work on in my own time and on my own hardware?

In my employer’s employment agreement:

“As between Company and myself, I agree that all right, title, and interest in and to any and all copyrightable material, notes, records, drawings, designs, inventions, improvements, developments, discoveries and trade secrets conceived,... Read more »

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jul 1, 2019

That is what they are asking for. You would need to consult with an employment attorney in your state to see if this would be enforceable under local law.

This is an overreach by the company. Normally, they limit this sort of agreement to inventions or software related to their line of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Can I own a construction company, and a rental company?

The construction company will rent everything from the rental company; Tools, company vehicles, job trailers, etc. The rental company will only suppy the construction company. Would doing this fall under embezzlement?

Benton R Patterson III
Benton R Patterson III answered on May 3, 2018

There is nothing inherently illegal about owning one company that rents equipment to another company you also own. In fact, this may be a useful structure to limit a creditor's ability to go after the equipment. Although, you must properly account for and pay taxes on the transactions. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law and Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Are Alabama Non-Profit Corporations tax exempt? Are donations made to them tax-deductible?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Dec 6, 2016

When properly established non-profit entities are exempt from federal and state income taxes, property tax, personal property tax, and state sales and use tax on purchases. They are still subject to employment tax withholding, sales and use tax withholding on sales of goods, and excise taxes. For... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Seeking the alabama code that requries all incorporations to be represented by an attorney in court
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Jan 27, 2013

In small claims court, representation by an attorney is optional. ALA CODE § 12-12-31 : Alabama Code - Section 12-12-31

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Alabama on
Q: Do i need a lawyer to get a liquor license in the state of alabama
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key answered on Apr 21, 2011

Not necessarily. It really depends on what your total situation is. If you are just trying to get a license for a job or other reasons you should contact the district office that works the county where the retail establishment is located and they should be able to provide all of the necessary... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.