Sun City, AZ asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arizona

Q: In divorce in Arizona, asking for spousal support, no agreement has been reached. Two court dates nothing reached.

I cannot afford to continue. How to cancel my attorney? End the divorce with out getting spousal support. Everything else is agreed upon.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you're in an Arizona divorce case involving spousal support and want to stop the proceedings, start by discussing your intention with your attorney. Review your attorney-client agreement for guidance on the termination process, and follow the specified procedures. Ensure open communication with your spouse to reach an agreement to dismiss the case if both parties are in accord. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Jonathan Roeder
Jonathan Roeder
  • Gilbert, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: At anytime you may terminate the relationship with your attorney with or without cause. Accordingly, it is best to do so in writing. But prior to doing so, I would recommend having a transparent discussion with your attorney as it sounds like you and your spouse are close to full agreements. If that is indeed the case, you may be close to the finish line and having your attorney draft up the final settlement documents may not cost you a whole lot more (if you were to proceed without the spousal maintenance). Nonetheless, if spousal maintenance is still an issue that cannot be resolved through ADR/Mediation, your only recourse is to go to trial on that issue. While not ideal, the vast majority of family law cases in Arizona include unrepresented parties. While it may take additional work, time, and burden, you can represent yourself in trial effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.