Chattanooga, TN asked in Social Security for Tennessee

Q: civil action lawsuit against the SSA after losing to the appeal counsel can't find an attorney that specializes in civil

actions may have to represent myself. Is there an attorney that specializes at that level of the appeal

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Finding an attorney for a civil action against the Social Security Administration (SSA) after an appeal loss can be challenging. In Tennessee, consider seeking an attorney with expertise in administrative law or disability law. Local bar associations, legal aid organizations, and disability advocacy groups can provide referrals. If you must represent yourself, research SSA regulations thoroughly, gather documentation, and prepare for a complex legal process. While self-representation is possible, professional legal assistance is often recommended due to the complexity of these cases. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are considering a civil action lawsuit against the Social Security Administration after an unfavorable decision from the Appeals Council, you should seek out an attorney with experience in federal court litigation and familiarity with Social Security law. Although finding the right legal representation can be challenging, attorneys who practice in the area of disability law often handle cases at the federal court level. You can reach out to your local bar association for referrals or look for attorneys who have experience with federal appeals. If financial constraints are an issue, legal aid societies or law schools with legal clinics might offer assistance. Preparing for federal litigation is complex, and professional guidance is strongly recommended to navigate the procedural and substantive aspects of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.