Pittsburgh, PA asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Can a modified judgement entry for parenting be enforced if it wasn’t signed by either party or the magistrate?

I have an agreed judgement entry that defines my ex’s visitation. We went to court to modify it with a new agreed judgement entry. It was not signed by the magistrate or us because there are issues with it. However I expected it to be edited and gave him his modified weekend with the kids. 2 weeks later it is still not signed and my ex is not honoring our agreement we made in court. He even went so far as as not returning our child one day and I needed a sheriff to get her back. He was in violation of the previous signed agreement and the modified unsigned agreement.

I don’t want to continue the parenting plan with an unsigned agreement anymore. Should I tell my ex I am only following the previous signed consent until the modified one can be signed and are there any issues for me with that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The only entry that can be enforced is one signed by the Judge and filed with the court. Anything that has not been filed is invalid. In some instances a signed copy is filed with the court and unsigned copies are time stamped at the same time as "service" copies which are for notification purposes for the parties. The original filed with the court is still valid as it contains the Judge's signature and the filing stamp of the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.