Washington, DC asked in Elder Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for District of Columbia

Q: can hospital be sued for neglected if they failed to cardiac convert a patient that request to be converted

Patient suffered from Ventricular tachycardia rhythm, family was at bedside during event ICU team informed family that they was going to wait to see if patient would come out on her own. Family insisted on converting patient or bring in electrophysiologist. After 3 hrs of waiting they finally brought a provider who was just a resident who stated that he could not make any diagnoses that he needed to go back and report to covering provider. During that time patient and family continue to ask staff to convert patient, finally the PA who was on ICU team came and spoke with family and asked what they wanted ICU team to do. Patient then yelled out "shock me" PA turn and left room. Patient nurse was present through out who event. Patient passed away on same day, family went had multiply meetings with medical team and staff during patient stay due to failure of treatment. Family kept documentation of ALL events

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Yes this is a potential case. While doing what the patient or family instructs might not be malpractice, what you describe does indicate there may be malpractice.

Medical malpractice means that a doctor violated the standard of care. A bad outcome is not enough. Another doctor would be needed to evaluate what the doctors did. Consult with experienced malpractice attorneys in the state where this occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.