Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Elder Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
District of Columbia Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for District of Columbia on
Q: can hospital be sued for neglected if they failed to cardiac convert a patient that request to be converted

Patient suffered from Ventricular tachycardia rhythm, family was at bedside during event ICU team informed family that they was going to wait to see if patient would come out on her own. Family insisted on converting patient or bring in electrophysiologist. After 3 hrs of waiting they finally... View More

Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
answered on Oct 26, 2023

Yes this is a potential case. While doing what the patient or family instructs might not be malpractice, what you describe does indicate there may be malpractice.

Medical malpractice means that a doctor violated the standard of care. A bad outcome is not enough. Another doctor would be...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights, Elder Law and Small Claims for District of Columbia on
Q: can i file suit for defamation and elderly abuse under Title 18 in dc? under what sections? Cannot get an answer.

I am 70 years old. I asked a question during a town hall meeting at the senior wellness center I have attended daily for the last 7 years. The 55 year old program director, did not like the question because she did not have a valid answer, was embarrassed. She then filed a fictitious Barring... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Dec 5, 2020

A Washington, D.C. attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. At this point, you could reach out to attorneys in the Libel & Slander sections to discuss. As a general note, keep in mind that such cases are not generally handled on a contingency basis the way... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Elder Law and Employment Discrimination for District of Columbia on
Q: Coworker is making childish remarks and you say "your almost 70 yrs old and acting like a child."

Is one remark consider age discrimination or does it have to be a pattern of behavior?

Andrellos Mitchell
Andrellos Mitchell
answered on Aug 6, 2019

Well, it depends on what the policy is at your workplace. Generally speaking, I would say that actual... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for District of Columbia on
Q: My father, who lives in Washington, DC needs to get out of a reverse mortgage scam. He wasn't 100% to sign a contract.

He was approximately 80 at the time. Diminished vision. Emotionally compromised. Victim of phone and mail fraud.

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Feb 19, 2019

You should have a consult with a lawyer before he dies. The facts matter, and they should not be discussed in an open forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for District of Columbia on
Q: I like to know if there is an attorney in Washington, DC that handles abuse of power of attorney type cases
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
answered on Feb 13, 2018

Any estates and trust lawyer, many family law attorneys, guardianship lawyers, and civil litigators, can handle such matters, depending on the nature of the abuse of the POA. Essentially, it is a breach of fiduciary duty to use a POA for purposes other than the best interests of the principal, and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for District of Columbia on
Q: Only child/Executor of parents' estate. Aunt offers to pay for an executor atty for my mom. How do I get her to cease

I am an adult only child and through recent estate planning have been named Executor to my parents' estate. My parents are elderly and vulnerable. My father has Alzheimer's disease. My 80-year old aunt has invited herself to visit to take care of my mother during her recovery from surgery... View More

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Oct 28, 2017

If you are the sole beneficiary in the Will, you might be able to handle it, but a legal consult can’t hurt. Sometimes, having a lawyer as PR is a wise choice, and lawyers can’t charge twice for their roles as PR and counsel. But, if you are worried about undue influence from your Aunt, it... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.