Bar Harbor, ME asked in Consumer Law for New York

Q: I dispute a charge on cc and was credited twice. I sent letter and still havent received a bill can they invoice me 2yr

i disputed a charge on my credit card 6 months ago and the company issued me a duplicate credit. This means I was not charged for the service. I sent a certified letter explaining their mistake and informing them to charge me. TO date they still havent charged the credit card for the service. How long do they have to charge me on my credit card and when can I close the account.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've received a duplicate credit for a disputed charge, it's responsible to inform the company of their error, which you've done. Generally, there is no set time frame for when a company must correct a billing error; however, they do have the right to correct it once they discover the mistake.

If they haven't re-billed you for the service within a reasonable time, it may be considered an oversight on their part. Closing your credit card account doesn't necessarily absolve you from paying for the service if they later decide to bill you. It's recommended to keep records of your communication with the company.

If you are considering closing the account, you may want to consult with them once more to confirm the status of the charge to avoid any potential misunderstandings or negative repercussions on your credit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.