Bridgewater, MA asked in Employment Law for Massachusetts

Q: If I’m out on maternity leave and get another job to start after my leave ends without going back to original(see below)

employer, is that an issue? will I be sued by the state of MA for back wages or is it up to the discretion of my original employer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you're on maternity leave in Massachusetts and accept another job to start after your leave without returning to your original employer, it could have legal implications. Your specific situation depends on your employment contract, state and federal laws, and your employer's policies. Review your contract, as it might have conditions for returning to work after maternity leave. Federal and state laws, like FMLA, often provide job protection during maternity leave, but if you don't return to your original employer, they may not be required to maintain your position. Regarding back wages, if you received paid maternity leave, you might need to repay benefits if you don't meet the conditions for returning. Whether your original employer takes legal action or it's their discretion varies based on your circumstances. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.