Ann Arbor, MI asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Michigan

Q: Legal claims for paying delinquent property taxes

I live in a property owned by my aunt that I pay her for. My aunt’s name and my mom’s is on the house. There was delinquent in taxes since 2021. I got a foreclosure notice from Saginaw county in Michigan. I went and paid all of the delinquent taxes for the property in August 2023. The aunt is now trying to force us to move out and sell the house. What rights do I have since I paid all of the delinquent property taxes? I read that since I paid it I’m entitled to claim ownership of the property since the aunt refuses to pay me back for the back taxes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Soble
David Soble
  • Farmington Hills, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Any agreements concerning real estate must be in writing, according to the "Statute of Frauds." The idea is that certain types of contracts must be signed and in writing to be valid because verbal or oral agreements dealing with real estate can create confusion and therefore, verbal agreements concerning real estate generally are not valid. For your situation, you may not have a claim against the real estate, but you may have a legal action to recoup your advances for the property taxes paid as per your aunt's request under a contract theory called 'unjust enrichment."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.