West Salem, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: We have a custody agreement father has physical custody are they allowed to keep me from communication with our son ?

My son's dad and I have a custody agreement where he has physical custody and some things were said. The girlfriend of my son's dad said we're going to get me for defamation of character Because my son said something to me and I didn't tell them that he told me. Now they're threatening to keep him away from me and if I contact our son ever again that they will have the police involved.

Right now I don't have much money for a expensive lawyer in need help with legal aid, pro bono lawyer. I have things that she has told me in text message. I paid them weekly child support out of court agreement. Are they legally allowed to keep him from talking to me? Are they legally allowed to tell me that I'm not allowed to communicate with my son / our son? The girlfriend is in charge of everything and my son's dad is letting her do all of this.

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Your rights and responsibilities should be spelled out in your parenting plan and/or Order setting out your custody agreement. I doubt it contains an ability of one parent to cut off communications from the child to the other parent. More likely, it contains a right of the child to have frequent and meaningful contact with both parents. Review it carefully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.