Mount Orab, OH asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: Can my guardian give guardian ship to another person in another state for me to attend college underage at the age of 16

I am working on graduating high school early and plan to attend college afterward at the age of 16. The college I want to go to is in California and I live in Ohio with my guardian. How would it work for me to attend college out of state without my guardian being able to move?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You will want to confer with a California family law attorney as well. Have you identified with whom you would reside while attending college there? You will need to also hire an attorney in the county that granted custody to your present guardian. This is a novel question that will require any competent attorney to conduct research. This forum is no substitute for that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.