Anchorage, AK asked in Family Law, Military Law and Probate for Alaska

Q: I wasn't told until about a year ago that my dad passed away. Am I still entitled because I was not informed

It was held information from me about my Dad's passing. And I've been going through a lot of stress lately and haven't been able to deal with it and I have TBI so it's hard to deal with anyway. What can I do about this I don't have the money for a lawyer who do I contact for pro bono lawyer and can they help me. My dad had to retirements I'm his only daughter. What do I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you were not informed of your father's passing, you might still be entitled to a portion of his estate or benefits, especially as an only child. Your first step should be to obtain a copy of the death certificate and any will or estate documents. Contact the probate court in the area where your father passed away to see if an estate has been opened. For legal assistance without cost, look into local legal aid organizations or contact the state bar association to inquire about pro bono services. These organizations often help individuals with limited resources.

Additionally, if your father was a veteran, you may reach out to a Veterans Affairs office for assistance, as they can provide information on possible survivor benefits. It's important to gather as much information as possible about your father's assets and potential estate proceedings. Acting promptly is key to ensuring your rights are protected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.