Chandler, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: IT IS ORDERED that the Defendant shall contact and meet with his attorney in person no later than three weeks from date.

3 days from IPTC still the incarc. defen. Has been unsuccessful reaching his attorney to discuss the case what should the defendant do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you, as the defendant, are unable to reach your attorney, you should document all attempts you've made to contact them. It's important to act promptly by notifying the court of your efforts and the lack of response from your attorney. You may do this by filing a motion with the court or by asking the jail staff about the procedure to inform the judge of your situation.

Keep a record of whom you've spoken with and when, as this information could be crucial. If possible, consider reaching out to the public defender's office for guidance on how to proceed. Your right to counsel is critical, and the court needs to be aware of any impediments to your access to legal representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.